Ian Schrager, hotelier and former Studio 54 nightclub impresario, you may recognize the name, is known also as the inventor of the boutique lifestyle hotel back in 1984. His latest creation is shaking it up. The Public Hotel (known just as the “Public”) located in New York’s Lower East Side. It’s mantra, “Luxury for all.”
“In the nightclub business you have the same product everyone else has. The only way to distinguish any venue is to create magic, energy, excitement in the air. It’s the same with hotels. Every hotel room has a bed, but we don’t rely on the bed. We rely on excitement.” Ian Schrager. United Airlines Rhapsody magazine July 2017
The WOW factor looms large at the “Public.” And yes, it is affordable for a NYC hotel. Rooms are priced at around $250. (just noticed some rooms offered at $150)
How does he do it? Well, first of all he is Ian Schrager, and we’re not. But I firmly believe we can learn from successful hoteliers like Mr. Schrager. We are all in the hospitality industry and we all want to be successful. And our guests all want to feel pampered and experience luxury.
“Feeling luxurious is something people of all ages, of every strata of wealth, of any education are entitled to experience.” Ian Schrager
What struck me when I was canvasing Public’s website was the simple and straight forward descriptions of the rooms and amenities. You can choose from:
- Queen Room, Queen Good View, or Queen Great View.
- King or King Great View
- Loft Great View
- Suite As I said, simple and straight forward!
And the amenities… no flowery language… just the facts, but you can see you are getting good value for the rates.
- THE MOST COMFORTABLE KING SIZED BED
- DISTINCT ZONES FOR SLEEPING, RELAXATION, WORKING AND ENTERTAINING
- SEPARATE PULL OUT SOFA BED, DINING/WORK TABLE
- SOAKING TUB
- THE FASTEST WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS IN NYC
- A 50″ FLAT-SCREEN LCD SMART TV WITH APPLE TV
- FLOOR-TO-CEILING, TRIPLE GLAZED WINDOWS TO ALLOW LOTS OF SUN IN AND KEEP ALL THE NOISE OUT
- TOUCH-CONTROLLED BLACKOUT SHADES AND SHEER CURTAINS
- CUSTOM-DESIGNED LIGHTING FROM WORK LIGHT TO CANDLELIGHT
- 10 EASY-TO-REACH USB PORTS AND POWER OUTLETS
- BOSE WIRELESS BLUETOOTH SPEAKER
- IN-ROOM SAFE AND PERSONAL COOLER
- FREE BOTTLED WATER
- 269 SQ FT
We can all learn from success and get inspired from other’s creativity. Take a look at Public’s website. You may find something that will add that magic, energy and excitement to your Inn.
Another suggestion…attend the 2018 Knowledge Sharing Summit and Marketplace at Norfolk, Virginia’s Hilton on Main. There is no better place to “learn from success” and find out what is happening in our industry today. The B&B Team will be there, all 10 of us, stop by and say “Hey!”
Thanks for Listening,