Monhegan House- A Maine island inn for Sale
"A place where the simple island life is made memorable.”
On an island off the coast of Maine is a hotel that speaks the language of the island. Unhurried pace, simple unfettered charm and friendly relaxed ambience. From a recent guest review:
“A place where the simple island life is made memorable.”
The Monhegan House started its’ island life as a simple cape house built in the 1840s. In the early 1870’s, the owners became the first on the island to offer lodging and meals to seasonal visitors. As artists and others began flocking to the island, several renovations and expansions were completed to meet growing demand. Thus starting a long tradition of island hospitality.
Additional renovations throughout the 20th and 21st centuries now provide for 28 guest rooms and a sixty-seat dining capacity restaurant. The restaurant serves breakfast and dinner to guest of the inn, and is a favorite of the general public as well. The spacious commercial kitchen is located just off the dining room and is geared to serve appropriately.
Guests enter the welcoming reception lobby with two inviting comfortable seating areas. A mantle of smooth beach rock surrounds a propane-fired stove. A separate meeting/gathering room offers guests a quiet space to join together for small meetings or for a game of cards or chat with fellow guests with a cup of tea.
On the ground floor there are two suites with private baths and a shared deck. The remaining rooms on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors utilize shared bath/shower/toilet/sink facilities that have been recently renovated and are exceptionally clean and maintained throughout the day for guest’s comfort. All rooms offer ocean or lighthouse and meadow views.
There are accessory buildings that include the owner’s cottage, buildings for staff and a workshop. In addition the hotel includes ‘The Novelty’, a popular spot open to the public throughout the day and evening that offers delicious pizzas, fresh sandwiches and salads as well as an extensive selection of wine and beer…and let’s not forget the ice cream!
Monhegan Island is special in so many ways that draws overnight guests, seasonal residents and scores of day visitors back year after year and decade upon decades…
- The 10-mile ferry ride is part of the total experience! Ride the classic vintage wooden mail boat Laura B or passenger ferry Elizabeth Ann from the mainland at Port Clyde, or a cruise boat that departs seasonally from both New Harbor and Boothbay Harbor.
- A coastal village with no cars!… just a few resident’s work trucks.
- No paved roads… just narrow lanes and footpaths.
- Fishing and lobstering families still live and work by the tide clock.
- ¾ of the island’s 700 acres is protected in its pristine state by Monhegan Associates, a land trust formed in 1954.
- Beyond the village the geography of meadows, marches and spruce and pine groves with 17 miles of trails draws birders, photographers, artists and trekkers seeking solitude and breathtaking views.
- The cliff walk takes you to a headland 160 feet above the Atlantic.
- The island’s special light and picturesque buildings and grand headlands has inspired generations of painters including 3 generations of the Wyeth family.
But one MUST go there to really experience the magic of this place. The Monhegan House welcomes you.
The B&B Team is pleased to offer this coastal Maine summer hotel that embodies the beauty and charm of a unique place, Monhegan Island.
The Monhegan House has continued to maintain and replace systems and renovate over the years, refreshing the rooms and suites while maintaining an eye for true coastal Maine lodging and dining experience.
From a technical perspective, a new septic system was installed in 2015. An extensive list of repairs and renovations is available.
Embrace the Monhegan experience. The Monhegan House is offered for sale for $1,695,000.
- Financially Viable
- $1 Million to $2 Million
- New England
- Over 20 Rooms
- Boutique Hotel
- Full Service Inn
- Coastal Destination
- Water View