Monhegan House – A Maine Island inn for Sale
"A place where the simple island life is made memorable.”
The Monhegan House is a very special Maine Island Inn for sale. On an island off the coast of Maine is a hotel that speaks the language of the island: Unhurried pace, simple unfettered charm, and friendly relaxed ambiance. From a recent guest review: “A place where the simple island life is made memorable.”
Read a recent article from a first-time visitor to Monhegan Island, her delighted discoveries, its unique lifestyle, and iconic sense of place.
The Monhegan House started its island life as a simple cape house built in the 1840s. In the early 1870s, the owners became the first on the island to offer lodging and meals to seasonal visitors. As artists and others began flocking to the island, several renovations and expansions were completed to meet growing demand, thus starting a long tradition of authentic island hospitality.
Additional renovations throughout the 20th and 21st centuries brought the property to its current form, with 28 guest rooms and a sixty-seat dining capacity restaurant. The restaurant serves breakfast and dinner to guests of the inn and is a favorite of the general public as well. The spacious commercial kitchen is located just off the dining room and is well equipped for the size and style of the inn’s dining program.
Guests enter the welcoming reception lobby with two inviting comfortable seating areas. A mantle of smooth beach rock surrounds a propane-fired stove. A separate meeting/gathering room offers guests a quiet space to join together for small meetings, for a game of cards, or for conversation with fellow guests over a cup of tea.
On the ground floor there are two suites with private baths and a shared deck. The remaining rooms on the second, third, and fourth floors utilize shared bath/shower/toilet/sink facilities that have been recently renovated and are exceptionally clean and maintained throughout the day for guests’ comfort. All rooms offer ocean or lighthouse and meadow views.
Accessory buildings include the owner’s cottage, staff housing, and a workshop. In addition, the hotel includes ‘The Novelty’, a popular casual dining cafe open to the public throughout the day for lunch and dinner in addition to offering an extensive selection of good value wine and craft beer…and let’s not forget the ice cream!
Monhegan Island is a special and authentic destination that draws overnight guests, seasonal residents, and scores of day visitors back year after year and decade after decade:
- The 10-mile ferry ride is part of the total experience! Ride the classic vintage wooden mail boat Laura B or passenger ferry Elizabeth Ann from the mainland at Port Clyde, or a cruise boat that departs seasonally from both New Harbor and Boothbay Harbor.
- Monhegan Island is home to a coastal village with no cars… just a few residents’ work trucks.
- No paved roads… just narrow lanes and footpaths.
- Fishing and lobstering families still live and work by the tide clock.
- ¾ of the island’s 700 acres is protected in its pristine state by Monhegan Associates, a land trust formed in 1954.
- Beyond the village, the geography of meadows, marshes, and spruce and pine groves with 17 miles of trails draws birders, photographers, artists, and trekkers seeking solitude and breathtaking views.
- Of particular note: the famous cliff walk takes you to a headland 160 feet above the Atlantic.
- The island’s special light and picturesque buildings and grand headlands have inspired generations of painters including 3 generations of the Wyeth family.
But one MUST go there to really experience the magic of this place. The B&B Team is pleased to offer this coastal Maine summer hotel that embodies the beauty and charm of a unique destination, Monhegan Island.
The Monhegan House has continued to maintain and replace systems and renovate over the years, refreshing the rooms and suites while maintaining an eye for true coastal Maine lodging and dining experience. From a technical perspective, a new septic system was installed in 2015. An extensive list of repairs and renovations is available to serious Buyers.
Embrace the Monhegan Island experience. The Monhegan House, a Maine island inn for sale, is offered at $1,695,000.
The Monhegan House is offered exclusively by Maine Broker of Record: Portside Real Estate Group.
- Financially Viable
- $1 Million to $2 Million
- New England
- Over 20 Rooms
- Boutique Hotel
- Full Service Inn
- Coastal Destination
- Water View