The Swift House Inn is a 20-guest room classic Vermont Country Inn and restaurant located in the town of Middlebury with all the charm, elegance, and history one would expect from a New England country inn. The town and Inn both hold a strong feeling of community.
The property consists of three buildings for lodging and dining. The Main House with 9 guest rooms, reception, restaurant and Wine Bar, the Carriage House with 6 rooms and the Gate House with 5 rooms. There are 4 acres of land. Gardens and treed lawns slope down toward US 7 just minutes from Middlebury’s main business district.
Jessica’s Restaurant, top rated on Open Table, is named after Jessica Swift who lived in the house until 1982 when if became an inn.
- Three dining rooms. The main dining room, the intimate library and the porch.
- A canopied deck, built in 2010, is used during warmer climes.
- The restaurant is a favorite with locals and guests.
- Offering casual and fine dining fare, showcasing local Vermont growers.
- Wine Bar off the parlor is a full-service bar.
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 10 years.
- And of course, Vermont craft beer, some of the best in New England and the US.
- Full breakfast with entrée choices and/or continental buffet.
The guest rooms have all been updated and kept in great condition and the property has been kept in excellent condition. It’s all about the guest’s comfort and experiences at the Swift House Inn.
The Carriage House was thoughtfully redesigned into six spacious guestrooms in 1990. These rooms are large, comfortable, each offers a king-size bed, double jetted tub, and sitting area and fireplaces. A lower level houses one guest room, a conference room and a sauna and steam room. This building also houses the owner’s quarters. An 1800 sf space with large open living room, kitchen and dining area. Two bedrooms, office and two bathrooms.
The Main House is the most historic of the three buildings. Welcoming reception area plus the dining rooms and Wine Bar. All 9 guest rooms, including one on the ground floor, offer a traditional New England historic experience with luxury amenities for today’s traveler.
The Gate House is a 1906 Victorian adorned with elaborate woodwork, stained-glass windows, and a porte-cochere. Located across the street from the Main House. There is one guest room on the 1st floor and four on the 2nd floor. The Gate House with it’s spacious downstairs common rooms are great gathering areas for families or groups traveling together.
In addition there are two barns and a house for staff. Plus a two car heated garage.
Location is important when seeking a lodging business and Middlebury and surrounding countryside is a true Vermont destination location.
- Located in Central Vermont in the beautiful rolling farmland of the Lake Champlain Valley surrounded by the Green Mountains and the Adirondack Mountains.
- Middlebury College is one of the most highly regarded private liberal arts colleges in the US.
- The beautiful campus overlooks the town.
- The Swift House has an outstanding relationship with the college, both from a direct business perspective and rapport with parents and guests visiting the college.
Vermont is a four-season recreational destination with business to be had all year.
- 120 inches of snowfall annually and the average temperature is around 22 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a great place to ski, snowshoe or sled.
- Numerous streams, and forested mountains make this an ideal location for fly fishing, hiking, and bicycling, our most popular summer activities.
- The fall colors just don’t get better than right here in Vermont.
Middlebury College is a center for cultural and educational events and arts making it an outstanding place to live, work and own a lodging business. Plus the town is so charming and quintessential New England. All in all The Swift House Inn is a perfect blend of Old New England with hints of history and contemporary luxury and 5 Star dining!
The Swift House Inn, premier Vermont country inn for sale is offered exclusively by the Vermont Broker of Record: Barrett & Valley Associates, Inc.